#1 RichJones

RichJones
  • Members
  • 176 posts
  • Home DZ:Aix
  • Jumps:280

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hi all,

I've not quite got my FS1 yet. Its about time i got a jumpsuit of my own and not managed to find quite what i'm looking for on the kit sale section or ebay. I'd rather be spending my money on jumps than gear so have been tempted to get a new aircare suit as they look very competitively priced + (got to be honest i like the idea of choosing the colours and extras to my liking)

Does anyone own an Aircare suit? i can't find any pictures of them, would appreciate it if anyone has pics they can send me and pros/cons of this manufacturer.

One other thing is I still want the option to jump without booties, is 'rolling them up' practical? I've seen it suggested many times. I ask because the only time i did this they were flapping around in freefall (probably poor rolling up) which wasn't good at all.

#2 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,053 posts
  • Home DZ:Swansea

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

I currently jump an Aircare suit. On the whole I've been very pleased with it. I wanted to get a suit that was in my choice of colours and fit well, but without spending a fortune on it. I wasn't that bothered if it wasn't one of the big name suits, or perhaps didn't have all the bells and whistles of the more known suits, but as long as it worked and didn't cost much, that is what counted. When I ordered it I didn't know what path I was going to go down in skydiving, FF appealed, but I still wanted an FS suit, and it just would have seemed like a waste of money to spend a lot on one of the other companies suits.

I've put probably about 150 jumps on it at least, and recently just over half an hour in the tunnel. It has survived being stuffed in my bag, some rough grip taking and general use without showing any signs of wear, bar on one instance. Despite all the things it has endured, one time I was just simply pulling the legs up a little to have a little less excess around my foot level and the material around the grip stitching tore! I didn't even pull hard. Rough grip taking has done nothing, but this made it tear... Bizarre. But I went to my local stitch shop and they reinforced the stitching and fixed the tear. Don't take this as a negative of the company though, as other companies' suits also have ripped with people

The booties are parapac (I think it is called) not cordura, and only come in regular bootie mode, not Mega booties or anything.
Competition grips are a must, as they are nice, big and soft. The normal grips are very thin.
I just tried tucking the booties up, and I've no idea how practical it would be. I think they would probably come out in freefall. Personally if I'm wearing an FS suit, I jump with the booties on. But that could just be me being crap at rolling up too!

Anyway:

Pros:
*Cheap for a custom made suit
*Quick delivery
*No frills but does its job well enough.
*Quick, friendly service.
*UK based so any problems can be rectified quickly.
Cons:
*Not a brand name or one that people generally talk about, so maybe some quality issues?
* No Mega Booties option
*The soles of the booties are also parapac, which is not good. I immediately put a very generous coating of Shoe-Goo over mine to give some protection.
*Some of the smaller details could so easily have been improved to make it a higher quality suit at very little extra expense to the manufacturing process, namely - the velcro that closes the booties could have been bigger. It is only a 1cm square that has come undone on numberous occassions. A 1 x 5 cm strip would have been better, or a popper.
- A little velcro closing thing over the leg zip would have been nice to avoid that zip opening (it never has with me, but just in case - I did jump without closing it myself once... bye bye phone)
- An inside pocket would have been nice. [/list]
the pic below is my suit. If you want a pic of any particular part let me know. It is kinda hard to see anything cause of my choice of colours! I like the stripes on the grips thing, not many other places do that... (that I recall anyway).

Anything else you want to know, let me know.

Attached File  DSCF0077.JPG   230.12KB   350 downloads

#3 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

Not sure if anyone else will be able to see this as I'm linking directly to the image on my facebook, but I'm on the left showing the suit in action.

Posted Image

#4 RichJones

RichJones
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

That was really helpfull! just what i wanted to know
:)

#5 Skyfly

Skyfly
  • Members
  • 235 posts
  • Home DZ:Nethers
  • Jumps:260

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Awesome post ! Thanks

A tip for you rich, I used to roll up mega booties on symbi suit (I imagine this would be even harder than normal booties). They never came unrolled. I rolled them up inside the leg and then put a bungee (the standard bungee you'd stow your lines in) around the bottom of the suit leg to hold the booty in place. Worked a treat, finished off by pulling up your socks over the bungee (this bit is optional - it makes you look like a total dick)

#6 Natalie

Natalie
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

Good post/question Rich cos thats what I was wanting to know aswell/was going to post about, I have bought everything else but the jumpsuit bit was confusing me aswell

degeneration thats a great reply and has helped me aswell thanks

oh my first post on here :D

#7 Colin

Colin

UKS Verified Instructor

• Members
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

Beer! 8)

#8 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

Just re-read my post and thought I should clarify something that I don't think came across clearly.

The zip pocket on my right thigh is where I was saying a little velcro stopper or something would be a nice little touch to ensure the zip doesn't come undone, as that is where I put my phone the one time I forgot to zip it up.

On the booties the little velcro bit that helps keep them closed is too small, and when it has come undone, sometimes most of the zip of the bootie which goes up to the inner thigh, has also come undone. This happened in the tunnel the other day resulting in one bootie and lower leg of the jumpsuit coming off and flapping around uselessly!

A stronger/larger bit of velcro or a decent popper would stop this happening, and I'm probably going to get this changed on mine.

I'm only starting to get seriously into the FS world (in a 4-way team for this year) so as I learn more I may discover what options other companies' suits have that make them better and more justifiable of their price tag. But for a FS suit to jump in, where you don't need the absolute top of the range, best suit going, then the Aircare one is certainly decent enough.

#9 Tricky

Tricky

Verified instructor

• Verified Instructors
  • 5,157 posts
  • Home DZ:Hibaldstow
  • Jumps:1400

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

I assume aircare suits use standard zips? the problem with these is they die really quickly in the tunnel, because the mesh catches the teeth which then breaks the zip. Cant talk for aircare, but I have seen other poeople buy other cheaper suits that have fallen apart after a couple hundred jumps and a couple hours in the tunnel. My tony suit has done about 600 jumps and 40 hours wind tunnel now, and apart from being a bit stretched its still fine.

#10 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

I don't know zips at all, so would assume they are standard ones...

But on the note you mention, my old symbiosis one did exactly what you are stating from 10 mins in the tunnel. Had to get the whole zip replaced.

My aircare one has had a bootie come undone, so just did it up again, but no actual damage from 30 or so mins so far.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying AIrcare are the best suits to get, just that they are a decent budget suit. If you are someone that is going to be doing 40 hours in the tunnel, then the chances are you are pretty serious about your discipline, so will be wanting a suit that is pretty serious for the discipline. If Tony suits are a choice for that, then good luck to them, but you do pay a higher price tag for them.

Now that I'm in a 4-way team for next year, if I do get more of the bug and want to become really serious in itm then I may be looking to get a more higher spec suit. Until then, replacing the velcro that closes the bootie aside, I'm happy with what I got (unless our coach says "replace that suit it's not good enough"!!)

#11 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Verified Instructors - UKS PM
  • 4,767 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:900

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

My aircare one has had a bootie come undone, so just did it up again

I've had this happen on Symbi (mid-price) and Parasport (top-end) suits too. I don't think it's indicative of much, and though I think the press-stud bootie fasteners aren't as good as elasticated ones, I don't have scientific data to back that up.

I also heard Symbi will make a suit with a protected zipper for the tunnel, if you ask them.

#12 RichJones

RichJones
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying AIrcare are the best suits to get, just that they are a decent budget suit. If you are someone that is going to be doing 40 hours in the tunnel, then the chances are you are pretty serious about your discipline, so will be wanting a suit that is pretty serious for the discipline. If Tony suits are a choice for that, then good luck to them, but you do pay a higher price tag for them.

Yeah, that what i took from your first post. I don't see myself skydiving that intensely.

#13 falling_ginger

falling_ginger
  • Members
  • 89 posts
  • Home DZ:Hibaldstow and UKPara Beccles
  • Jumps:70

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

where abouts/which site can you get the aircare jumpsuits from?

#14 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

http://www.thomas-sports.com/

Not the easiest to use website, but the order forms and other info about them are on there.

#15 degeneration

degeneration
  • Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Bumping a stupidly old post as I noticed that Aircare have drastically increased the cost of their FS suit.

Seem to recall the bootie suit used to be about £115, but that has now gone up to £155. So it is not as much of a good cheap starter suit as it used to be. The price has become far more significant.

With the basic symbiosis suit with booties costing £180 (or £186 with MEGA booties), the aircare isn't quite as competitive anymore.

As the aircare has always been regarded as a cheap, basic suit, has its quality and performance increased with the price increase, to make it a more acceptable suit in the more hard core FS people's eyes?

When I got my Aircare suit (year and a half ago, maybe more), I got it with booties, comp grips and inside leg grips, and I think it cost me £145 delivered. The same suit would now cost £195 delivered. Damn inflation eh?!

#16 Guest_kennichi_*

Guest_kennichi_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

=================Thread ressurection====================

I was about to stick a cheque in the post for an aircare suit on recommendation at the DZ on Sunday and some measuring.

£196 for booties, knife pocket padded knees and competition sausages. Seemed an OK price. Colour doesn't bother me as its 100% red cept the sausages which I want black.

But then the whole kitstore thing came up and symbiosis suit got mentioned.

£236 for a poly/Lopo suit with megabooties, fat grips, padded knees/elbows etc.

Considering I've never flown booties before and Dave said whatever you do don't get vented booties. Another Dave says get mega booties, yet another Dave says any booties will be fine (at the DZ everybody is called Jo or Dave heh)

Eh?

Help needed please! As everybody is giving me different opinions!

Note I am 11.5 stone (and getting lighter) 1677mm tall and my fall rate is..... variable fastest I've fallen in a std arch according to the Vigil 2 is 142mph.

Edited by kennichi, 14 June 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#17 OwenB

OwenB
  • Members
  • 225 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad, Weston, Peterlee, Headcorn usually.
  • Jumps:100+

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

Colour doesn't bother me as its 100% red cept the sausages which I want black.

Just remember that some people (the kind who actually know what they're talking about) get a bit funny about people jumping red jump suits with red cutaway/reserve pads. In the event of a mal I damn sure want to know that I've got the right handle rather than just a handful of fabric. Might want to bear that in mind when purchasing. :thumbs: Just saying.

#18 Guest_kennichi_*

Guest_kennichi_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Just remember that some people (the kind who actually know what they're talking about) get a bit funny about people jumping red jump suits with red cutaway/reserve pads. In the event of a mal I damn sure want to know that I've got the right handle rather than just a handful of fabric. Might want to bear that in mind when purchasing. :thumbs: Just saying.

Thanks for your concern but my cut away pad is yellow, I've got a spare red one and a spare green one as well.

#19 OwenB

OwenB
  • Members
  • 225 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad, Weston, Peterlee, Headcorn usually.
  • Jumps:100+

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for your concern but my cut away pad is yellow, I've got a spare red one and a spare green one as well.

Brilliant looks like you're sorted then. The reason I mentioned it was because a friend of mine purchased a red jumpsuit and had to wait until his next repack to put a green cutaway pad on.
:)

#20 Joellercoaster

Joellercoaster

UKS Forum Moderator

• Verified Instructors - UKS PM
  • 4,767 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson, Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:900

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

purchased a red jumpsuit and had to wait until his next repack to put a green cutaway pad on

You can cutaway (and replace the pad) without disturbing the reserve pack job. This can save you lots of hassle :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users