SamLee

BCPA Council

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson
  • Jumps:720

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

"

The 18-year-old was taking part in his fourth jump above the Perthshire countryside on Sunday when disaster struck.

As he leapt from the aircraft his backpack became entangled in the exit, which caused him to tumble ''uncontrollably'' into the sky, the British ParachuteAssociation (BPA) confirmed.

In a desperate bid to right himself, the youth — believed to be from the Glasgow area — tugged on his reserve chute, but it failed to open.

Thankfully, his landing was softened by a marshy quagmire, which experts at BPA believe saved his life.

He was airlifted from Strathallan Airfield near Auchterarder to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow with suspected neck and leg injuries, but was released a number of hours later with a clean bill of health.

The BPA is investigating the incident at Skydive Strathallan and another similar incident at Paragon Skydiving Club in Errol. They both took place on Sunday lunchtime.

Shortly after 1pm a 28-year-old woman was admitted to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee after sustaining a suspected broken ankle while taking part in an organised jump with Paragon.

BPA safety officer John Hitchen said he had been in contact with staff at both sites, but said there was no evidence of any wrongdoing.

Mr Hitchen, who has been a member of the association for the past 30 years, told The Courier: ''We inspect all skydiving companies every two years to ensure appropriate training, risk assessments and management structures are put in place.

''Centres are always quite honest with us as we have the power to stop all parachuting with immediate effect and take further action if required.''

Commenting on the Strathallan incident, he said: ''This really is a miracle tale of survival — it's just extraordinary the boy walked away with just cuts and bruises. He fell all that way without a working parachute — it could have been fatal."

He continued: "Everyone is really over the moon that he is okay. It was a freak accident. It appears he caught his backpack as he was exiting the aircraft and tumbled out uncontrollably.

"We believe that he followed the correct procedure by opening the reserve chute, but it was so tangled at this point it didn't work.

"We are in regular contact with Kieran Brady and the other staff at Strathallan and when we visited last year found that all their procedures were perfect.

"The club have done nothing wrong in this instance but we will carry out further investigations, as is our policy."

Mr Hitchen added: "There is an element of risk in the sport; anyone who says there isn't would be lying — it's an adventure pursuit like rock-climbing or bungee jumping.

"However, clubs are highly regulated and staff must be properly trained. They must have licensed parachute packers to ensure all risks are reduced."

http://www.thecourie...s-survival.html

Does anyone know anything more than what they're reporting? Sounds potentially like a dodgy S/L exit followed by a main-reserve entanglement...but who knows with the press!

#2 MrCat

MrCat
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Probably would have helped if he'd taken a rig on the plane instead of his backpack. I'm quite surprised that wasn't picked up in the flight line check.

#3 ryno118

ryno118
  • Members
  • 684 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:250+

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Probably would have helped if he'd taken a rig on the plane instead of his backpack. I'm quite surprised that wasn't picked up in the flight line check.

I've been saying those backpacks that look like rigs are an accident waiting to happen for ages. They have mini rings and everything! :shock:

#4 CharlieP

CharlieP
  • Members
  • 283 posts
  • Home DZ:Hibaldstow
  • Jumps:372

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

They seem to have a different method of instruction at Strathallan too. I was always taught that the best way to right myself was to arch - my AFFIs never mentioned tugging on the reserve chute. :thumbs:

#5 rifleman

rifleman
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • Home DZ:Tilstock
  • Jumps:12

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

I've just got one thing to say - Buy a lottery ticket!

#6 Jack Bradford

Jack Bradford

BCPA Council

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar, Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:1000

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sounds like he probably had some lucky crystals

#7 UKS James

UKS James

UKS Admin

• Administrators
  • 1,280 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:500+

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Sounds like he probably had some lucky crystals

Well just to reassure all those who are currently jumping without a back-up lucky crystal, UKS has tracked down a supply and they will shortly be available in the gear store :thumbs:

#8 ailwyn

ailwyn
  • Members
  • 1,068 posts
  • Jumps:350

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Glad he's ok, sounded pretty extreme.

#9 EnigmaUK

EnigmaUK
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Home DZ:Nethers (Occasionally Sibson), Bodyflight Bedford
  • Jumps:47

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

If this is accurate then this puts him in a very exclusive club... from memory there's only around 5 or 6 people that have ever survived a fall from altitude with nothing out....

#10 CharlieP

CharlieP
  • Members
  • 283 posts
  • Home DZ:Hibaldstow
  • Jumps:372

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

PS What was the disaster that struck in the first sentence?

#11 Trev Allport

Trev Allport
  • Members
  • 161 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:59

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

I know I'm only a novice but I'm a little confused as to what happened here.

Are they saying that his main canopy came out as he exited the aircraft? Somehow he caught the pilot chute toggle? Was it a low or a high jump? His reserve got tangled in his main?

#12 babz

babz
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:513

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Given it was his 4th jump at a dropzone that doesn't offer aff then I'm assuming he was doing a s/l jump.

#13 nigelh

nigelh
  • Members
  • 1,586 posts
  • Home DZ:Skydive Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:4500+

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Anyone know any facts or details? (That doesn't include crystals)

Must be a Strathallan jumper on here somewhere

#14 robby_h

robby_h
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • Home DZ:Chatteris
  • Jumps:137

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

This from the daily mail explains how he got tangled in his 'wires' on a static line jump.

It also talks about the other incident at Errol and apparently the woman broke her foot on a metal step...? as she exited the aircraft. And the reporter was told it was just a sprain and the reports that her parachute failed are wrong.

http://www.dailymail...500ft-fall.html

#15 ailwyn

ailwyn
  • Members
  • 1,068 posts
  • Jumps:350

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

I imagine they're all being told not to say a word, given the press don't even have the guy's name!

#16 SnowFionn

SnowFionn
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

apparently the woman broke her foot on a metal step...?

It's a C182 at Errol

#17 robby_h

robby_h
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • Jumps:137

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

It's a C182 at Errol

ahh I see, :doh: not jumped a cessna before but definitely going to be aware of the step now.. lol

Not sure how they can confuse that with a parachute malfunction though but I guess reports will be confirmed eventually.. :)

#18 Glennw103

Glennw103
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

My particular favourite readers' comment from that mail article:

"I hope he sent the parachute back to the manufacturer with a stiff letter of complant"

#19 Brad

Brad
  • Members
  • 132 posts
  • Home DZ:Sibson UK, Ramblers Aus.
  • Jumps:>1

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

My particular favourite readers' comment from that mail article:

"I hope he sent the parachute back to the manufacturer with a stiff letter of complant"

lol! and there is the typical "why jump out of a perfectly good aircraft" comment too.

Glad the kid survived and it hasn't put him off though.

#20 Craig

Craig

UKS Verified Instructor

• Verified Instructors
  • 2,598 posts
  • Jumps:4100

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

http://www.dailyreco...86908-23766920/

Skydiver recalls moment he thought his life was over after parachute fails at 3500ft
Feb 27 2012 By Keith McLeod

A TEENAGE skydiver has told how he walked away after plummeting into a field when his parachute failed to open.
Greg Benson, 18, plunged 3500ft and hit the ground at 50mph.

In a nightmare series of events, his leg became tangled in his parachute lines and the mass of thin cords stopped his reserve parachute from opening properly.

But Greg suffered only a graze to his chin, various minor compression fractures and two chipped bones in his back.
Greg, of East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, was rushed by air ambulance to hospital but released just 48 hours later.

Last night Greg, who is studying chemical engineering at Strathclyde University, said: “I glanced at the ground. I expected to be at about 1000ft, then I checked and I was at about 40ft.

“The ground was rushing towards me and then everything went black.

“I remember waking up on my back and the instructors telling me an ambulance was on its way.”

Greg believes he may have jumped from the Cessna 206 light aircraft in the wrong position. As he left the plane, Greg thinks he flipped, tangling his leg in the lines. He was left hurtling towards the ground.

Only the partially opened canopy slowed his descent to 50mph.

That and the soft grass in the field where he landed saved his life.

He added: “I’m not saying I wasn’t scared but I didn’t process it. I was very factual and logical – I wasn’t emotional.”
The incident happened at the Skydive Strathallan club in Auchterarder, Perthshire. The club have scores of skydivers and arrange 10,000 jumps a year.

Greg isn’t sure whether he would jump again. He said: “I would like to but I think once the plane started taking off it would all come back. I’m annoyed I can’t do a bungee jump next month because of my spine. But I’ll do it once I’m healed.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users