#1 martin soulsby

martin soulsby

BPA Council Member

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
  • Home DZ:Everywhere

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi

I suppose the title says it all, just wondering if anyone has used a pre-paid micro sim card in USA,

- how easy are they to get hold of in the US?
- would I be better off ordering one before I leave from one of the "International" sim card companies?

By the way my iphone is unlocked, so no issues with different sim cards

Edited by martin soulsby, 28 February 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#2 babz

babz
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Home DZ:Langar
  • Jumps:513

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hi

I suppose the title says it all, just wondering if anyone has used a pre-paid micro sim card in USA,

- would I be better off ordering one before I leave from one of the "International" sim card companies?

By the way my iphone is unlocked, so no issues with different sim cards

FYI micro sim's are just normal SIM which are cut down.. Handy guide

Edited by babz, 28 February 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#3 dbac

dbac
  • Premier Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Hib mainly.
  • Jumps:1000+

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Have you tried asking a US based skydiver? Hannah Betts or Dee Lucas spring to mind but bound to be others. Check 'em out on my fb friends if you're not already connected.

#4 martin soulsby

martin soulsby

BPA Council Member

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

Have you tried asking a US based skydiver? Hannah Betts or Dee Lucas spring to mind but bound to be others. Check 'em out on my fb friends if you're not already connected.

Thanks Brain, that is a very kind offer, friends in America on FB oh how clever.

#5 Tricky

Tricky

Verified instructor

• Verified Instructors
  • 5,157 posts
  • Home DZ:Hibaldstow
  • Jumps:1400

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Brain, that is a very kind offer, friends in America on FB oh how clever.

Posted Image

?

#6 dbac

dbac
  • Premier Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Home DZ:Bit of a nomad. Hib mainly.
  • Jumps:1000+

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

No need to thank me, Martin. I'm always happy to help. :thumbs: ;)

#7 PilotRMK

PilotRMK
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • Home DZ:Empuriabrava
  • Jumps:650

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Buy one here before your trip. Yes, in places like New York or Chicago pre-paid sims are available in most shops. However, in the rural towns where most DZs are located, you will have much difficulty finding one. The local population of the desert areas of California / swamp land of Florida are not usually big international travellers – hence the local shopkeeper will see no need to stock these.

In keeping with the UKS theme of answering queries you didn’t ask: While at the DZ/Hotel w/ WiFi access, the Skype app for iPhone works pretty well. For creative number porting/forwarding or VOIP solutions try these guys http://www.callsure07050.co.uk/ . They can do some pretty fancy stuff for quite cheap cost.

Edited by PilotRMK, 01 March 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#8 martin soulsby

martin soulsby

BPA Council Member

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Buy one here before your trip. Yes, in places like New York or Chicago pre-paid sims are available in most shops. However, in the rural towns where most DZs are located, you will have much difficulty finding one. The local population of the desert areas of California / swamp land of Florida are not usually big international travellers – hence the local shopkeeper will see no need to stock these.

In keeping with the UKS theme of answering queries you didn’t ask: While at the DZ/Hotel w/ WiFi access, the Skype app for iPhone works pretty well. For creative number porting/forwarding or VOIP solutions try these guys http://www.callsure07050.co.uk/ . They can do some pretty fancy stuff for quite cheap cost.

Thanks for that answer, a sensible one. Actually will be in San Diego so assuming should be OK, but can you recommend a UK company?

#9 sgorf

sgorf
  • Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Lots of information here:

http://www.moneysavi...p-roaming-calls
http://www.moneysavi...ap-data-roaming

#10 martin soulsby

martin soulsby

BPA Council Member

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Lots of information here:

http://www.moneysavi...p-roaming-calls
http://www.moneysavi...ap-data-roaming

Ta

#11 Gareth79

Gareth79
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

I've found the easiest/cheapest SIM for travellers to the US is probably the T-Mobile prepaid one.  *However* you need to either get it from a T-Mo store or dealer, or have it shipped to a friend to forward, it doesn't seem to be carried at supermarkets like Walmart.  I think you can top it up online using a foreign credit card but it doesn't work via. their automated top-up line since that asks for the card's ZIP and registered phone number.  A US friend might be able to top it up for the amount + a beer though (that worked for me!).

The main advantage of the T-Mo SIM is that you get data for something like $1.40/day - very cheap compared to others!

(Oh, first post here too! :) )

#12 UKS James

UKS James

UKS Admin

• Administrators
  • 1,298 posts
  • Home DZ:Dunkeswell
  • Jumps:500+

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Oh, first post here too!

Beer!! :D :D

#13 martin soulsby

martin soulsby

BPA Council Member

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I've found the easiest/cheapest SIM for travellers to the US is probably the T-Mobile prepaid one. *However* you need to either get it from a T-Mo store or dealer, or have it shipped to a friend to forward, it doesn't seem to be carried at supermarkets like Walmart. I think you can top it up online using a foreign credit card but it doesn't work via. their automated top-up line since that asks for the card's ZIP and registered phone number. A US friend might be able to top it up for the amount + a beer though (that worked for me!).

The main advantage of the T-Mo SIM is that you get data for something like $1.40/day - very cheap compared to others!

(Oh, first post here too! :) )

Thanks Gareth, for a sensible answer.

#14 Gareth79

Gareth79
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

Beer!! :D :D

I do like beer! [Wetherspoons have a real ale festival this weekend... mmm]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users